Friday 22 April 2011

All Present and Correct

Should have waited another 24 hours before mentioning the cuckoos: this morning Hoss took me up to show me a herd of about 40 deer up near the Hows (mounds) on Dunkery and there was the cuckoo music all around, filling the open sky.  How can such a small bird call so penetratingly that he can be heard across the whole Vale? I've never seen him and don't know many people who have, but everyone knows his voice.

Something startled the deer and they elegantly legged it to the far side of the horizon. At the same time the cuckoo stopped for a commercial break and I haven't heard him since.  But I know he and his missis are up there and despite the rain (yes, honestly!) I am now firmly a believer that  summer is on the way.

3 comments:

  1. Love the phrase 'elegantly legged it'. That's exactly what they do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an idyllic picture you paint. Sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved to hear the cuckoo when I was little-we lived in a cottage in the woods.
    Don't hear it much here!

    ReplyDelete