Thursday 21 April 2011

I'm Waiting ...

The cuckoos are late this year. Usually I first hear them on or around the 21st April but it's the end of that day now and still neither a cuck nor an oo has popped from the hills around the Vale of Porlock. Tomorrow I'll get Hoss to take me up onto the shoulders of Dunkery and surely from there I'll be lucky. I know cuckoos have some horrible habits but I do love their call.
The gorse is in flower and the scent of coconut is very strong up in the hills where it holds sway. It needs burning off or mowing soon - they've got a new machine over Minehead way which can cut and chew up and dispose of acres of the stuff in one day and a good job too - bring on the GorseGobbler.

Yippee! Two more of my stories are out today: 'Lady in Waiting' is in May's issue of 'PONY' magazine and 'A Castle by the Sea' is in the People's Friend Fiction Special 2011. It still gives me such a kick to see my work out and about and helping to pay my vet's fees.

I need the sales! HKC1 - the ridiculously fluffy one - has been 'overgrooming' (chewing out her fur) and had to go to MrVetMan the other day for a cortisone injection. Those 10 minutes cost me the best part of £40: maybe I should just divert part of my salary straight into the veterinary accounts each month.

I'm still not sure if I'm 'blogging' properly - but I quite enjoy jotting my random thoughts here from time to time, so I think I'll just carry on doing it just the way I do.

Oh yes, and I think HKC2 has just eaten the Easter Bunny ...

2 comments:

  1. Ceka, yours is the most 'proper' blog I read, don't change a thing!

    As for cuckoos, I heard one yesterday in Piddles Wood.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooops. Forgot to add congratulations on the stories!

    ReplyDelete