Friday 15 April 2011

Queen Anne's Lace

I told you about Greenfire the other week.  Well the fire is halfway up most of the hawthorn hedges now - if I were any kind of a techie I'd post the geeky photos here so you can also witness the creeping green. I'm not so you can't, you'll have to use your imagination.

There is a wonderful wildflower (weed to the uninitiated) which suffers the name of 'Cow Parsley'.  It's making its presence felt very strongly in the fanning of the Green Fire along the lanes right now, leading the way so to speak: its tips are the highest point of the Green advance in some places.

 If I look closely, I can see that these tips are no longer green, they're turning creamy.  Within a few weeks they'll open out into the glorious frothy lacework of petals that so well deserve the name that should grace them more often: Queen Anne's Lace.  These elegant plants line the lanes like cheering bystanders and in early May it seems they applaud and wave at me as I drive past.  They give me a lovely feeling of well-being.

Oh help, it's not even Sunday yet. I don't normally wax lyrical until Sundays. I'd better stop.

3 comments:

  1. Wax away, Ceka. The sight of spring flowers is very cheering and I agree 'Queen Anne's Lace' is a better name for this plant (at least when it's in flower)

    Can you get a photo onto your desktop? If so, I can direct you from there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Saw some Queen Anne's Lace last night. Love that name!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember seeing cow parsley and picking the leaves for my bunnies to eat!

    ReplyDelete