Friday 4 March 2011

My Pong has Pinged

Yippee!
The short story that has been pingponging back and forth for ages has finally landed on the 'Ping' spot and was sold yesterday. No idea when it'll come out but if I remember to keep you informed, I will.
I have, however, a somewhat civic mind: things just seem to dribble through the sieve of my memory into the Great Mixing Bowl of life which is itself cracked. So don't expect me to pay you back the tenner you lent me last week.
To counteract this civic memory, I have several cunning plans.  One is to e-mail myself with things I might forget. Another is to write little post-it notes all over the kitchen. "Bin Day" "Cans" "Turn the Bloody Fridge Back On" "Hoss to Joanna's" "Ring Ben".  I'm absolutely sure that other people do this too, but I bet they can actually read back their notes or understand their cryptic ones.  I found one recently that said "Superlash Bindy" and by the time I'd interpreted it, Sheelagh's birthday had come and gone.  I nearly missed "Charge tar discover" altogether but was fortunate that it was pinned over "John's Birthday" - the end of the month was the giveaway and as I was writing out the card for the Birthday Boy I realised that I needed to put the car's tax disc into the vehicle before Tuesday 1st March.
I think there might be some cash mileage woven into the vagaries of this civic mind and my coping strategies ... in the short story world. Look out My Weekly and Peeps Amigo (my affectionate title for the People's Friend) - another Pong cometh.

5 comments:

  1. I leave myself cryptic notes too. I almost never understand mine either, but there's something about actually writing things down which helps me remember. Sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For the first time in my life I'm using a diary to jot down things to do. I have TWO diaries now. One for work (real-life work I have in between writing) and social life (yeh, I have one!) and family life. Another for my writing (deadlines, interview duedates etc).

    The problem comes when I lose them....

    ReplyDelete
  3. congratualtions on landing the Ping.

    I've got the same problem - someone messes up my handwritten notes so that they don;t make any sense whatsoever. But I've just started using a e-diary, hoping this will deterr the blimmin' notes goblins.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Ceka, I'm passing a stylish blogger award on to you. Please forgive the syle I've attributed to you!

    You don't have to accept or take any notice (I won't be offended), but if you like you can copy the award onto your blog, post seven things about yourself and nominate some more stylish blogs to recieve the award.

    ReplyDelete